River Exe Mussels with Pancetta, Leek & Cider
For a starter, serves 4
- 1 kg of cleaned mussels
- 6 rashers of pancetta (good quality bacon also works really well)
- 2 shallots finely sliced
- 2 leeks washed and finely sliced
- 1 small bunch of chopped parsley
- 350ml of good local scrumpy cider
- 150ml of whipping cream
- In a large heavy based sauce pan on a medium heat, add the pancetta with a little oil and fry until it begins to stick to the pan.
- Add the shallots and leeks and continue to fry, however don't allow then to colour.
- Add the mussels, followed by the cider and place a lid on top.
- After a couple of minutes remove the lid and the mussels should now be open. (If not just turn the heat up, give it a shake and place the lid back on until they do).
- Add the cream and the chopped parsley check for seasoning and serve with warm crusty bread.